Pages

Sunday 20 January 2013

J D Mcpherson, Brighton and Wassail! Oh my!


The last couple of days have pretty much summed up what being a Rockabilly Pagan is all about.


Firstly it was Leon's birthday (21 again) and I got him tickets to see J D McPherson in Brighton. On Friday it began to snow and it was touch and go whether we would go or not but thankfully we did.
J.D played an amazing set to a very busy and enthusiastic sell out crowd. The band with him were also fantastic as well as the supporting act Sean Rowe.
I remember first hearing the song 'North side gal' and immediately brought the album July last year and when J.D played the song live I felt that same rush of excitement like hearing it for the first time again.



The turn out at the venue was great, considering it was so cold and had been snowing all day it hadn't deterred the bandana wearing chicks and the slick haired greasers. I realised that this was my first event where I had been surrounded by other rockabillies and I loved it!
After the gig we drove to our lodgings for the night in Newhaven and yes it was still snowing!

The next day the snow had eased off and we went back to Brighton to do some shopping. I love visiting the laines and the flea markets. I didn't find any vintage bargains but I did get a lovely green fleece jacket by Gekko Camden and a t-shirt from cyber dog.

In the afternoon we left for Eastbourne for the Pentacle Drummers first annual Wassail.
Don't know what a wassail is? Check out :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassailing

We meet up with fellow Celtic Mooners; Moonstream, Breaca and Vandrake and a fun night of dancing and drinking was had.
The Pentacle Drummers opened the event with a stirring drumming set, followed by Belly dancing and other music. The festivities moved outside for fire poi and then we gathered for a fire lit parade to the bonfire site.



A touching ritual then took place as the quarters were called and the apple tree was planted and blessed as the bonfire burned brightly.
The congregation then went back up to the marquee for a very well stocked raffle and more belly dancing and drumming.


The evening rounded off with music from a fantastic band called Wojtek Godzisz which we all enjoyed dancing to and it warmed us up immensely.
It's events like this that make me proud to be part of the pagan community and I will be going to next years Wassail for sure! 

Photos courtesy of Vandrake and Breaca.



No comments:

Post a Comment